[Mailman-Developers] MM3: list disabling/enabling?

Paul Wise pabs3 at bonedaddy.net
Mon Jul 11 18:37:59 CEST 2011

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 5:40 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry at list.org> wrote:

> I've thought about this on and off over the years and still think it's a good
> idea.  No, MM3 does not have such a thing yet.
> Yep

Ok, great.

> but I'd like to understand the semantics first.  Do messages to the list
> get bounced, and if so, by Mailman or the MTA?  Currently, deleting a list
> does remove its configuration, but (by default) retains its archives, which
> can be deleted later.  A disabled list would always have its archives
> available I think.

With our current setup the disabled (or "graveyarded") list is removed
from the /var/lib/mailman/lists dir and the aliases regenerated, so
the MTA bounces messages to it and the admin interface for it cannot
be logged into. Disabled lists are listed in a separate page in the
web interface to the normal listinfo page. Some disabled lists might
get their archives removed and some not.

I think bouncing at the MTA is slightly sub-optimal and that mailman
could generate a more informative bounce indicating how to contact the
server admin to get the list revived. Probably in the web interface
there could be a "disabled lists" category. Server admins would
probably want to be able to login to the disabled lists in the web
interface, but maybe not the list admins.

> I think the core feature would not be too hard to implement, but some
> specifics would depend on answering the main question above.  Here's an
> outline of what you'd probably need to touch:

Thanks for the pointers, I will try that this week.

--
bye,
pabs