[Mailman-Developers] MM3: list disabling/enabling?

Patrick Ben Koetter p at state-of-mind.de
Tue Jul 12 20:52:02 CEST 2011

* Lindsay Haisley <fmouse at fmp.com>:
> On Tue, 2011-07-12 at 17:23 +0200, Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:
> > Is disabling a list a temporary measure? If it is, should the server reply a
> > temporary error?
>
> In my humble opinion, an intentionally disabled list should cause the
> mail system to generate a 500 class error (permanent error).  400 class
> errors (temporary errors) are generally reserved for situations where
> the _intention_ is that the mail should go through but is prevented from
> doing so by problems for which a solution is in progress.  A 400 class
> error causes the originating system to cache and re-try delivery, so if
> a list returns a 400 class error, it's just "delayed", not truly
> "disabled".  This may be a fine distinction, and if a list is disabled

ACK. Looking at the available codes I guess the best return code would probably
be 550:

   550  Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable (e.g., mailbox
         not found, no access, or command rejected for policy reasons)

         <http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5321.txt, section 4.2.3.  Reply
         Codes in Numeric Order>

p at rick

--
state of mind ()

http://www.state-of-mind.de

Franziskanerstraße 15      Telefon +49 89 3090 4664
81669 München              Telefax +49 89 3090 4666