[Mailman-Developers] A subscribe link

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jul 15 01:22:06 CEST 2011

On 7/14/2011 1:18 AM, Clayton Brown wrote:

> Example: There must be a link on the cleansing email that looks like this:
> It will be then easy for me to subscribe the recipient into a subscribe
> database and just create a list afterwards.

If the installation has set

OWNERS_CAN_ENABLE_PERSONALIZATION = Yes

in mm_cfg.py so that the 'personalize' settings appear on the list admin
Non-digest options page and personalize is set to Yes, then either the
replacement %(user_address)s or %(user_delivered_to)s can be used in
either msg_header or msg_footer to receive either the user's lower-cased
email address or case-preserved email address respectively.

Those replacements work only in msg_header and msg_footer. They don't
work in the message body and they don't work in digests.

E.g. You could put

Opt-in <www.test.com/subscribe.php?id=%(user_delivered_to)s>

in msg_footer. This may or may not be rendered as an active link
depending on the users MUA. You can't put an HTML tag in msg_header or
msg_footer, because it will always be in a text/plain part of the message.

[...]
> I am in inexperience php developer, if there is a way that you know off
> where I can capture the email's headers please let me know. Please remember
> the way Mailman works in regards to posting an email. Does it allow for php
> in the code or only HTML?

I don't understand what you are asking here, but see the FAQs at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/hIA9> and <http://wiki.list.org/x/uIA9>.