[Mailman-Developers] FreeBSD 8.2, Python2.7, Exim-4 and MM3

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 15:20:31 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 23:35, Barry Warsaw <barry at list.org> wrote:

> On Jun 02, 2011, at 09:10 AM, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
>
> >I manage several machines (FreeBSD of course) all of which use Exim as the
> >MTA.  I'd like to know what sort of conditions you attach to this
> requirement
> >(for a spare machine).  The only downside is that bandwidth is still not
> >cheap in KE, so people connecting from outside will definately feel the
> slow
> >speeds.  If the tests are NOT likely to interfere with the smooth running
> of
> >Exim on any of these servers, then I am willing to let you use one of
> >them. However, Nigel's input matters most so I must wait till he can work
> out
> >something for Exim.
>
> Hi Odhiambo,
>
> There really aren't too many conditions on this, though I think I would
> need
> shell access to quickly update the code and restart Mailman.  Really, we
> just
> want a test server that brave folks like yourself can subscribe to and we
> can
> start throwing real traffic at.  I think it would be wise at this point to
> not
> use a production server for now.  Bandwidth isn't that big a deal for the
> email traffic I'd expect, though latency to the USA might be a problem.
>
> -Barry

Hello Barry,

Is a valid MX record a MUST for this project?

My test box is inside a 2Mbps symmetric connection from anywhere (USofA,
etc) but it does not have a valid MX record. Will that do?
If it must have, then I will need to register a domain name and talk to the
ISP to do the mappings.

However, if this test is non-intrusive to Exim, then I can use one of the
production servers I use.

PS: My hope is that we'll be using Exim as the MTA:)

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,