[Mailman-Developers] [Mailman GSoC] Archive UI Web Framework

Richard Wackerbarth richard at NFSNet.org
Fri Jun 24 15:16:08 CEST 2011

On Jun 24, 2011, at 7:51 AM, Barry Warsaw wrote:

> As long as Pipermail is still in the core, I do think it makes sense to
> continue the work to port it to Storm, since that's the ORM that the core
> uses.  We've talked about splitting Pipermail off into a separate sibling
> project (much like the new UI is currently), and if we do that, I'd be open to
> re-evaluating the choice of Storm for Pipermail.
>
> I don't want to throw a monkey wrench into Andrew's work of course, just
> saying that if there was compelling reasons to want Django and its ORM for
> Pipermail, the way to do it would be to split off Pipermail first.
>
> Cheers,
> -Barry

I agree that the preferred design approach is to split the project into a number of independent modules that communicate through traffic queues / channels and a database which stores the settings.

I don't know that much about the various ORM schemes. Could someone explain why the STORM is preferred to the Django ORM or that used in Pylons?