[Mailman-Developers] Mailman 2.x Virtual Hosting

Pavel Šimerda pavlix at pavlix.net
Fri Jun 24 15:06:23 CEST 2011

Hello,

I've just started playing with Mailman on a virtual hosting solution. I
decided to write about it in the 'developers' mailing lists because I am
ready to make some changes to the code and publish them.

I know you're working on Mailman 3.x series but it's not ready yet
(correct me if I'm wrong) and I would like to have a solution now.

First thing that surprised me is that Mailman doesn't support virtual
hosting. The second one was that documentation claimes it does. Even the
simplest test, creation of lists with same names under different domains
shows 2.x vhost support is simply broken.

There are several modified versions of Mailman that claim to support
vhosts. Mark Sapiro's version didn't work for me (most commands resulted
in errors). It could have been broken by merging upstream code.

https://code.launchpad.net/~msapiro/mailman/vhost

There is a pretty good resource with patches at koumbit.net (in French):

https://wiki.koumbit.net/VirtualMailman

I tried to apply the 2.1.13 patch to Debian Squeeze's Mailman
installation. And it sort of works. You can at least create the mailing
lists now, which is good.

Postfix virtual alias generator doesn't work. Mails are usually sent
with wrong list e-mail addresses (the translated ones, not the public
ones), so it's rather broken. But sending and recieving mail works.

I would like to know if there's anyone else interested in getting
Mailman 2.x to support a feature the documentation already claims to
support.

Testing, links to resources, code, and help with getting it official is
welcome.

Pavel Šimerda