[Mailman-Developers] MailMan Usage

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Jun 27 11:17:01 CEST 2011

Aamir Khan writes:

 > time or make something like whenever a mail is arrived at may mail it is
 > delivered directly to "procmail" then it would be really helpful..

This is possible, but how to do it depends on your system.  In my
case, I use postfix and exim (on different hosts), and they allow
specifying the LDA (local delivery agent), and I do set that to
/usr/bin/procmail, so it Just Works[tm].

These also allow virtual addresses that are not system users at all,
but simply redirect addresses to new places, including other
addresses, files, and programs (such as procmail).

On some systems you may be able to put "|procmail" or something like
that in ~/.forward.  (Such systems are rare nowadays, I think.  AFAIK,
most systems default to not allowing programs in .forward.)  You might
be able to alias your address to a pipe in /etc/aliases or similar
(again, most systems now disallow this for security reasons).

So there's surely a way to do it, but it is very system and software
dependent.  You should ask on lists for your MTA.