[Mailman-Developers] Interested Google Summer of Code Student

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Thu Mar 31 10:30:42 CEST 2011

Nahuel ANGELINETTI wrote:
> When mailman3 will be released?

The snarky answer is "real soon now" ;) We've been in alpha for a while.
  The proposed Google summer of code project include some things we need
before release, including a push on the web interface.  Barry can maybe
give you a better estimate, but I don't think we're expecting a final
release until after GSoC is over for this year.  But maybe we'll have
such amazing students that an earlier release will be possible!

 > I'm interesting in coding a dynamic
> archive software, I already made base one using django for mailman 2
> with some hacks (you can look there: http://archives.rezo.net/ ).

> My purpose is to create a software that can manager users, and permit
> them to respond to emails, read private archives, set email aliases(if
> they use multiple e-mails in differents lists hosted), and some "social"
> features, like setting an avatar.

This sounds really great! You may find that some of those features, like
setting email aliases, might be better packaged up with the other
interface work for user settings, but I'm sure if you start with the
archives themselves you'll find plenty to do and hopefully you'll get to
the more social pieces later on.

Could you look over the use cases developed for the Systers archive
project last year and tell us a bit about what other use cases you think
would be important for the archives project, or how you'd prioritize the
ones we already have?

http://systers.org/systers-dev/doku.php/mailman_archives_ui_-_yian_shang

There's not really a right or wrong answer for this question -- I just
want to get more of an idea of how you're thinking about archives and
how you expect them to be used!

  Terri