[Mailman-Developers] List Administration Manual r2.1

C.J. Adams-Collier KF7BMP cjac at colliertech.org
Fri May 13 22:01:59 CEST 2011

On Fri, 2011-05-13 at 12:14 -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 5/13/2011 10:01 AM, C.J. Adams-Collier KF7BMP wrote:
> >
> > I have also racked up about 9 months of experience developing LaTeX
> > documents during grad school.  I still consider myself a bit of a
> > neophyte in this area and will be needing some help setting up the LaTeX
> > environment for compiling the .dvi files.  At this point, I installed
> > the python-sphinx package (debian) and copied
> > the /usr/share/sphinx/texinputs/howto.cls it provides to the build
> > directory.  I am getting the following error and would appreciate any
> > insight you can provide.
>

> I'm not sure about the specific error you are encountering. I've never
> used Sphinx on these .tex files. The documentation package is built with
> the old Python mkhowto script. This script can be found at
> <http://svn.python.org/view/python/branches/release25-maint/Doc/tools/mkhowto?view=log>.
> It has several dependencies, and I don't remember what they all are.
>
> To make the various files from mailman-admin.tex, you do
>
> mkhowto --all --dir /path/to/html/dir mailman-admin.tex
>
> where /path/to/html/dir is the directory to receive the HTML manual.

Thank you Mark.  It seems the magic conjuration must be invoked
similarly to:

$ sudo apt-get install python-old-doctools
$ rm -f howto.cls
$ mkdir /tmp/html
$ /usr/lib/python2.5/doc/tools/mkhowto --all --dir /tmp/html mailman-admin.tex > /dev/null 2>&1
$ evince mailman-admin.pdf

Good enough for government work.  Now to add some content.