[Mailman-Developers] Mailman headers roundup

Patrick Ben Koetter p at state-of-mind.de
Thu Nov 10 21:33:18 CET 2011

* Barry Warsaw <barry at list.org>:
> >X-Mailman-Version
> >	The version of Mailman that sent the message.  It can lose the X-
> >	prefix.
> >	Modify to: List-Agent, Mediator
> >	Next Step: Discuss
>
> I like List-Agent much more than User-Agent, since Mailman is only tenuously
> under any control of the user.  I like having this header under the List-
> prefix, so I Mediator doesn't appeal to me.

Here's why I would prefer "Mediator":

What we want is a header field name that indicates the message has been
accepted, modified and forwared by a program.

The header field name 'List-Agent' does that, but it is specific to mailing
lists. The term 'Mediator' describes the same, but it is general in meaning.
Any instance modifying and forwarding a message can use it.

If we use List-Agent others will have to register another header field name -
'Mediator' would fit for all.

p at rick

--
state of mind ()

http://www.state-of-mind.de

Franziskanerstraße 15      Telefon +49 89 3090 4664
81669 München              Telefax +49 89 3090 4666