[Mailman-Developers] building/running alpha 8 on MacOS

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Sun Nov 27 02:02:05 CET 2011

On Nov 25, 2011, at 07:15 PM, Felipe Gasper wrote:
>I’m trying:
>
>python bootstrap.py -d
>
>…and that works. (It seems to need the -d; otherwise it won’t find the
>setuptools that MacPorts installs.)

Hmm, the distribute_setup.py should pick up the right version of distribute
instead of setuptools.  I don't know what version MacPorts has, but I do know
that on Debian/Ubuntu, setuptools is really distribute.

These days, buildout is only needed for the test suite, so you could try
creating a virtualenv and running `python setup.py install` from there.  You
might have to provide --no-site-packages to virtualenv if the MacPorts
packages get in the way.