[Mailman-Developers] mailman / archive-ui / licensing questions

David Jeske davidj at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 05:04:23 CEST 2012

On Apr 2, 2012 3:07 PM, "Terri Oda" <terri at zone12.com> wrote:
>> This agrees with my view of the situation as well. Which leads to the
>> question, is the above approach interesting/viable for Mailman-team?
>> (assuming the code does something awesome that people want)
>
> If the question is just "would you like another archiver even if the
licenses don't match?" then I believe the answer is yes.

The question i "would you BUNDLE another archiver even if the licenses
don't match?"

My archiver has been available for download (like many others) for ten
years. All these sites are still running a limping pipermail archive,
because it's bundled. I want to get Mailman a better bundled archive.

> But... since you arrived around the same time GSoC started, I should ask
whether you were hoping to do this as a GSoC project?

Perhaps it would make things more clear if I expledin why I'm here...

I'm not a student. I've been working in software for 15 years, programming
for almost 30 (since I was 9). I wrote large portions of eGroups / Yahoo
Groups / Google Groups. I'm a successful post-Google entrepreneur. Since
leaving Google I've been angel investing mostly in tech stuff (see my Angel
List).. I've been donating notable chunks of money and time to open source
projects (with my blender donations working out the best so far). Given my
history, and the fact that I keep wanting to tear my hear out reading
mailing list archives in pipermail, I thought I'd give you folks an
archiver that would be nice.

HOWEVER, I personally will not write GPL code. I might submit a tiny patch
or bugfix, but I'm simply opposed to restrictions on how someone uses
something that I'm trying to donate to the software community. (i.e. you're
never going to turn me into a mailman developer, the best you'd get is me
writing my own mailman-ish and releassing it under S-BSD.. if you want
that, let me know)