[Mailman-Developers] From the creation of a ThreadID

Richard Wackerbarth richard at NFSNet.org
Sun Apr 8 20:11:57 CEST 2012

I would propose a slightly different scheme for converting messages to stable URIs..

If we create our ID by concatenation of some hash and a part of the date, then the mail server need remember only those messages that fall in the same date-sensitive part of the namespace. It can "forget" about ancient history.
Further, if we maintain sufficient Hamming distance, we can perform "error correction" (mapping multiple IDs to the same canonical one)) and, thus compensate for minor encoding differences caused by timing skew.