[Mailman-Developers] mailman / archive-ui / licensing questions

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Sun Apr 8 23:53:02 CEST 2012

On Apr 03, 2012, at 11:58 AM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

>Distributed/pointed to by list.org along with mailman and postorius might be
>negotiable though :-)

Absolutely.  I'm committed to making it as easy as possible for an admin to
integrate third-party FLOSS archivers with mm3.

>I don't think you're going to find the will to make this sort of decision
>right at this instant because what we want the archiver ecosystem to look
>like for mailman3 is somewhat in the air.  Do we really want an obviously
>less capable archiver to be the bundled archiver?  Do we want to have
>a single blessed archiver (probably in a separate tarball as postorius, the
>admin web ui, is separate) as an eventual goal?  Do we want (at least for
>a year or two) to let people go to town with their new ideas for archivers
>and then see if a best-of-breed archiver is raising its head?  I don't
>believe any of this is decided inside of our minds yet, so, for now, people
>are defaulting to wait and see.

A hearty +1 to all of the above.

I know for sure that 3.0 final won't be held up for lack of a robust
archiver.  Having this conversation now is important for future releases
though.

Cheers,