[Mailman-Developers] From the creation of a ThreadID

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Mon Apr 9 17:28:53 CEST 2012

On Apr 09, 2012, at 07:10 AM, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:

>I support the concept of Stable URI. The concept of using a hash into a large
>namespace is probably adequate.  However, at a minimum, the URI SHOULD
>include an easily identifiable schema-revision indicator.  That way, if the
>present scheme is found lacking, we can, compatibly, switch to a new schema
>and a new namespace.

Should we attempt to push the stable URI concept as an RFC?  Does anybody
(Murray perhaps) have the interest and time to do that?  I think the RFC would
be pretty simple.

Having an RFC would also be nice for getting rid of the X- prefix.

In any event, we can declare the algorithm on our current wiki page to be
version 1.0 of our stable URI definition.  Archiver search algorithms can
expose this version number in their URLs if they're so inclined.  E.g.:

http://mail.example.com/1.0/7GC2V6BEDVME27VQ34W7AXMFPA3H2YWW

I should probably also be able to find the message this way:

http://mail.example.com/search?message-id=%3C20120409152339.16496.75486%40foo.example.org%3E

and probably

http://mail.example.com/search?strict=1&message-id=20120409152339.16496.75486%40foo.example.org

and maybe others.