[Mailman-Developers] Wiki woes

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Dec 11 03:48:04 CET 2012

Terri Oda writes:

 > I know we've been under some pressure from the FSF to switch to a
 > more free wiki, and they'd offered to find us some help in doing
 > the migration.

The pressure is real and will intermittently reappear.  In my
experience, *specific* help on infrastructure from the *FSF* never
materializes[1] -- the folks who do the pressuring are too busy being
watchdogs to code, the people who code for them mostly have other
interests, and they don't have money to pay for that kind of work.  I
would ignore the pressure unless a real volunteer steps forward.

Also, I would ask for support from Atlassian.  This all sounds quite
horrible to me; I would imagine that even if they don't already have
plans to fix it, they would want to do so before more users notice.

Footnotes:
[1]  Ask the Emacs people about the 2 years they suffered with a
broken Bazaar installation on Savannah.  The project is RMS's first
baby and the VCS was selected and demanded by RMS personally, and they
couldn't find the resources to get checkout times under several hours!
(Admittedly, that extreme was only for some people intermittently, but
everybody was seeing checkout times of tens of minutes most of the time.)