[Mailman-Developers] Browser ID integration with Mailman

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Sat Feb 25 22:37:52 CET 2012

On Feb 21, 2012, at 08:10 AM, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:

>On Feb 20, 2012, at 7:28 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
>> Yep, it's a big question.  Something could clearly make sense in the core,
>> e.g. gpg keys for authentication or encryption.  Other, specifically
>> ui-type data might not make as much sense in the core.  Even if we came up
>> with a way to extend the core schema and store the data in the core, how
>> would you access it?  There would probably have to be a generic REST API
>> for getting key/value data associated with the user in and out of the core.
>
>In general, I think that this will be needed.  Consider what happens when we
>try to add a "plugin" optional function such as a different archiver.
>
>In general, it will need to have some database stored parameters. Do we then
>add yet another database?  I think not.  A generic key/value mechanism in the
>existing database would provide the capability without requiring a custom
>change to the API.

Another way to do this, now that we have (what I think is a fairly robust)
schema migration, you could imagine the plugin would make available a few
migrations which would add the necessary data to the existing database.  There
might be problems if you're adding fields to existing model objects, but
adding purely new tables shouldn't be too much of a problem I'd think.

>> I've have a similar question when it comes to authorization.  Just where to
>> do we keep the authorization mapping users and roles to actions they can
>> perform?  I'm very close to punting on this for 3.0 beta (and thus likely
>> for 3.0 final), though I'm also happy to revisit it during the Pycon sprint
>> (likely for a hypothetical 3.1).
>
>For the short term, I would let the UI become the repository for such
>information.  For the longer term, see my remarks in reply to Florian's
>message which you are referencing.

Yep, thanks.