[Mailman-Developers] Twisted NNTP

Joshua Cranmer pidgeot18 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 22:48:43 CEST 2012

On 7/3/2012 4:30 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> I guess one question is whether it's more work to fix Twisted's NNTP protocol
> support or bootstrap the whole thing from scratch async.  I don't know how
> involved NNTP is, so a careful reading of RFC 6048 would be in order first.
> Last time I tried it (admittedly many years ago), Twisted was good enough for
> a couple of NNTP clients I tried.
You mean RFC 3977--RFC 6048 only extends the LIST command.

In practice, you'd need to implement ARTICLE, HEAD, BODY, STAT, LIST,
NEXT, LAST, and QUIT to be compatible with all clients (the necessary
parts for readers for RFC 977). (X)OVER and the other LIST commands
would be extremely nice, as would, to a lesser degree, (X)HDR, XPAT, and
CAPABILITIES. Essentially, only those commands that need the READER and
LIST capabilities under RFC 3977 (and their 2980 counterparts). AUTHINFO
would be a good idea if you want to support password-protected archives.

--
Joshua Cranmer
News submodule owner