[Mailman-Developers] Login / User Identification Issues in MM3

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Thu Jul 12 04:27:43 CEST 2012

On Jul 11, 2012, at 02:22 PM, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:

>No! Although you are making available (some/most/all) of the data values, you
>are not making available the ability to make arbitrary SQL-type queries to
>view the data.

Which frankly, I don't think we should do, in the core.  The core is not a
generalized database engine.

If this is absolutely required for the design of Postorius, then in my mind
there has to be a separate database component, and an implementation layer on
the bottom of the core which talks to that component.

>In this day and age, try selling that one! Only those of us, and that
>especially includes me, who were around "way back when", before http even
>existed, know any other way. :)

Don't forget too that there are use cases where you interact with the system
solely by email commands.  Sure it might feel antiquated, but people who want
to run their systems this way are passionate about it.  This is something else
that we must keep possible.

>Presently, the message handling is integrally tied to the database
>implementation. Customization extensions will intrude into parts of the
>system which they should not affect.

Then *that's* a bug, but I think it's a bug of lack-of-implementation rather
than design, as I've described in previous messages.

>As far as I am concerned, those are more than adequate reasons.
>
>I view your argument as the message handler claiming "I'm special! Everyone
>else has do do things my way. I get special privileges."  -- IMHO, the tail
>is wagging the dog.

Well, I don't think that's the case, but of course message handling is kind of
the whole point, isn't it?  I mean, without that, what are we building? :)