[Mailman-Developers] Login / User Identification Issues in MM3

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Thu Jul 12 23:41:53 CEST 2012

On Jul 12, 2012, at 01:42 PM, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:

>On Jul 11, 2012, at 9:53 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
>
>> Both implementations in fact can live side-by-side, and choosing one or the
>> other is something you do when you install and configure the system.
>
>I'm not sure that I agree with attempting to maintain two implementations
>"side-by-side"
>
>"separate, but equal" comes to mind.  And we all know how that worked.

The question is whether we want to support running the core without having
this user service available, i.e. in standalone mode.  Are we going to require
that this service be running in order to run the core?  I think we shouldn't
be so strict.

I'm not too concerned about multiple implementations getting out of sync.  I
think we'll be able to devise sufficient tests to ensure that, as far as the
core is concerned, both implementations are providing all the necessary
information.