[Mailman-Developers] Login / User Identification Issues in MM3

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sat Jul 14 07:00:59 CEST 2012

Richard Wackerbarth writes:

 > I think that you have missed a level of abstraction.

Why do we need it?  AFAICS, at this point we have a bunch of services
that need to be specified somehow.  We *need* a RESTful interface for
some functions because they make the most sense if accessed remotely,
and there doesn't seem to be a good reason to go beyond HTTP and
specify individual transport protocols for these remote services.

Given that, and that REST is a pretty severe restriction, it seems
likely to me that if we actually need to go beyond REST for
performance reasons (eg), that can easily enough be done later.  We
may as well specify using REST now, and have everything target that
protocol until we need something more powerful or efficient.