[Mailman-Developers] Exposing not advertised lists via nntp archiver

Richard Wackerbarth richard at NFSNet.org
Tue Jul 17 20:34:46 CEST 2012

On Jul 17, 2012, at 11:07 AM, Barry Warsaw wrote:

> On Jul 15, 2012, at 12:26 AM, Alexander Sulfrian wrote:
>
>> There are mailinglists with a pubic archive but that not be advertised
>> by the server.
> 'Advertised' lists are kind of a funny middle ground between private and
> public.  They are public lists but don't show up on the overview page.
I assume that you mean "Unadvertised".

> One way to think of this in a mm3 world is that advertisement is purely a
> function of the web ui.

And the equivalent "admin-by-mail" UI.

> For all intents and purposes then, this flag has no impact on public vs. private, so it can be ignored.

But there probably should be a per-list configuration option for gateway-ing a list to the news.
There may well be lists for which I am willing to advertise the existence without wanting their content to be spread far and wide.

> At least, that's my current thinking, but I'm certainly open to other
> opinions.   I almost wish we could just get rid of the advertised flag.
>
> -Barry

Richard