[Mailman-Developers] Speaking about kitties (or archivers)

Patrick Ben Koetter p at state-of-mind.de
Sat Jun 2 07:19:10 CEST 2012

* Barry Warsaw <barry at list.org>:
> On Apr 24, 2012, at 01:41 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> >IMHO, premature optimization.  Among other things, there isn't going
> >to be a "the" archiver-core.  Mailman should provide "a"
> >archiver-core, and I think it should be based on maildir (which is
> >apparently Barry's intuition, too).  Theory and implementation of
> >maildir are simple and robust, and that allows us to concentrate on
> >the archiver interface.
>
> In fact, the prototype archiver already implements maildir storage.  This
> storage isn't exposed via REST yet though.

Maildir is robust but it doesn't scale under high load. You can add indexes,
but they are limited sooner or later too.

Concerning mailbox formats Timo Sirainens current approach to collect a
limited number of messages in one file and then start a new one combines the
best of both worlds - mbox and maildir - in mdbox
<http://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/dbox>.

Con
It takes an index to know in which files a message is located.

Pro
A magnitude faster to backup, which I would keep an eye on because mailing
list archives tend to be large and backing up a directory of small files is a
well known performance killer.

I can get you in contact with Timo if you like to.

p at rick

--
state of mind ()

http://www.state-of-mind.de

Franziskanerstraße 15      Telefon +49 89 3090 4664
81669 München              Telefax +49 89 3090 4666