[Mailman-Developers] Trying to install mm 3.0.0b1

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Thu Jun 21 17:32:40 CEST 2012

On Jun 21, 2012, at 09:25 AM, Lindsay Haisley wrote:

>Jessy Kate Schingler <jessy at jessykate.com> said:
>> FWIW, i found installing within a virtualenv to be a sanity-inducing
>> operation for very similar reasons.
>>
>What's involved here?

It's really pretty simple.  I'm not sure what the default version of Python is
for Mint (it's 2.7 for Ubuntu 12.04), but either 2.6 or 2.7 should work fine,
and it's a bug if it doesn't.  Anyway, your steps should be something along
the lines of:

* apt-get install python-virtualenv
* virtualenv /path/to/your/mm3/installation
* source /path/to/your/mm3/installation/bin/activate
* python setup.py install

At this point, you actually don't need to be in your virtualenv (or really for
the setup.py install step either) but it can be useful because the bin
directory will be put on your $PATH.  In any case, what I'd do next is:

* edit /path/to/your/mm3/installation/etc/mailman.cfg
* mailman start

I forget whether `mailman start` needs to be passed the -C option, but I think
not.

>Jessy Kate, can you send me an online reference on setting up a proper
>virtual environment?

This would be the perfect thing for a code contribution!  Would either your or
Jessy like to submit a bug and some improved deployment documentation, either
as a branch, patch, or .rst file?

Cheers,