[Mailman-Developers] Grackle archive framework

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Sat Mar 17 23:54:54 CET 2012

On Mar 18, 2012, at 12:23 AM, Aamir Khan wrote:

>On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 12:55 AM, Barry Warsaw <barry at list.org> wrote:
>> On IRC, we talked about a storm + Python mailbox library based backend,
>> with a
>> REST+JSON wsgi based application vending the data.  This would allow us to
>> integrate fairly easily with MM3 I think, and would possibly better enable
>> some of the archiver work being done by Terri and others.
>>

>I understand that we will store the messages in .mbox format. But I don't
>understand why do we need to use storm for the archiving purpose.

I meant to say "maildir".  Please let's not use mbox format!  It's way too
easy to corrupt the file, as we did with a bug once in MM2.1, and we've paid
the price ever since.

As for archiving, it isn't strictly necessary to use storm, it's just a nice
lightweight ORM I happen to like.  But I think it *does* make sense to back a
full-fledged archiver with a database and a full-text search engine.  For
example, using our RFC 5064+X-Message-ID-Hash scheme, the database would
handle the lookup from hash to actual message storage location.

Cheers,