[Mailman-Developers] Killing off Pipermail and the effects on scrubbing in Mailman 3

Andrea Crotti andrea.crotti.0 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 02:27:47 CET 2012

On 03/17/2012 11:43 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> Also, I need to figure out a better development platform for Windows
> boxes. I had a perfect opportunity to scrap Windows all together when
> I had to recover from a hard drive crash on my main development box
> last year, but the dice fell the wrong way on that one.
>
> Anyway, Cygwin is not going to cut it for MM 3. At the sprint, I tried
> installing MM 3 in a vagrant VM, but there was too much missing (e.g.,
> no Python.h) and even 'apt-get install python-dev' didn't fix that. I
> ended up working remotely inside a virtualenv on my production server.
> That actually seems to work OK, but I'm afraid that as I get deeper
> into it, there will be things I need to do that I won't want to do on
> my production box.
>
> Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions for me besides the obvious "bite
> the bullet now and scrap Windows - it will only be worse later", I'm
> interested. I suppose I could always dual-boot Windows and some Linux
> side by side.
>
> Maybe I can organize a sprint at the next PyCon - Migrating to Linux
> and killing Windows one PC at a time.

I would definitively suggest to get rid of Windows, but if you don't
want or can't
do the big step there is no reason to do a dual-boot, a just create a
Linux virtual
machine and you're done :)

Unless you don't have much RAM is the best solution, and there are even
pre-made
virtual machines here:
http://virtualboximages.com/

so it doesn't really take long to set up something working :)