[Mailman-Developers] Google Summer of Code: Integration of Search Code

Shayan Md mdoshayan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 13:27:44 CEST 2012

Hi,

I am Shayan, I am doing my masters from IISc Bangalore. I want to take part
in GSoC from mailman organization. I have fairly good experience in python.
I worked on whoosh library for my own project. I have experience with
django also.

I am planning to work on integrating systers search code into mailman. I
believe for whole summer this task alone is very small. I'll include couple
of more tasks in the proposal.

I went through search code. Code looks pretty standard. As far I understood

mailman.Searcher.IndexSchema has whoosh schema
mailman.Seracher.Indexer contains indexing functions which are later used
in genindex.py
mailman.Seracher.Mailocate has search function for indexed content
generated by genindex.py

mailman.bin.genindex.main() is the main function which indexes the archives

I am still trying to figure out how mailman client library interacts with
mailman server. I know how to use client library but I couldn't understand
internal working of mailman server. I have been reading the code but I
wasn't able understand much. It would be awesome if you can point me to any
documentation to understand this. Some api documentation or anything to
understand code.

Thanks

Shayan.