[Mailman-Developers] RELEASED: GNU Mailman 3.0 beta 1 and Postorius 1.0 alpha 1

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Mar 27 04:30:18 CEST 2012

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 2:38 AM, Barry Warsaw <barry at list.org> wrote:
> On Mar 23, 2012, at 11:47 PM, Felipe Gasper wrote:
>
>>No INSTALL file in the tarball?

> The online documentation is here:
>
> http://packages.python.org/mailman/README.html
>
> but I admit that the "Getting Started" page is a little bit out of date.  It's
> mostly right though.  You can also build mm3 in a virtualenv, which is how I
> actually run it in my test-production servers.

I spent a fair amount of time on airplanes recently, which
I used somewhat productively to do some updating of the
docs for the beta.  I haven't merged with the release code
yet, so maybe there will be conflicts, but the work is at

lp:~stephen-xemacs/mailman/beta1-docs

Highlights:
- s/alpha/beta/ as appropriate
  A few of the instructions have changed slightly, eg, docs
  are now built with "setup.py build_sphinx", not "bin/docs".
- Add some discussion of Mailman 3 philosophy (very light)
- integrate Florian's "Setup the Admin UI in 5 Minutes" guide
  cf. src/mailman/docs/WebUIin5.rst
- add a slightly edited version of Toshio's Hyperkitty README
  cf. src/mailman/docs/ArchiveUIin5.rst

This branch is branched from my sprint-2012-overview branch
(recently merged, I see, thanks, Barry!)

I will be doing an experimental merge in the next day or so,
so I'll report on conflicts then.

(Aside to Barry: my assignment agreement will go out in the
afternoon mail ... uh, maybe not until tomorrow am at this
rate, but RSN, anyway.)

I'll add the branch URL to the bug, but I can't promise my
branch really addresses any of the issues so that's all I'll
do with it for now.

Cheers,
Steve