[Mailman-Developers] Google Summer of Code: Integration of Search Code

Shayan Md mdoshayan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 11:31:41 CEST 2012

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 1:11 AM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 04:57:44PM +0530, Shayan Md wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am Shayan, I am doing my masters from IISc Bangalore. I want to take
> part
> > in GSoC from mailman organization. I have fairly good experience in
> python.
> > I worked on whoosh library for my own project. I have experience with
> > django also.
> >
> > I am planning to work on integrating systers search code into mailman. I
> > believe for whole summer this task alone is very small. I'll include
> couple
> > of more tasks in the proposal.
> >
> > I went through search code. Code looks pretty standard. As far I
> understood
> >
> > mailman.Searcher.IndexSchema has whoosh schema
> > mailman.Seracher.Indexer contains indexing functions which are later used
> > in genindex.py
> > mailman.Seracher.Mailocate has search function for indexed content
> > generated by genindex.py
> >
> > mailman.bin.genindex.main() is the main function which indexes the
> archives
> >
> > I am still trying to figure out how mailman client library interacts with
> > mailman server. I know how to use client library but I couldn't
> understand
> > internal working of mailman server. I have been reading the code but I
> > wasn't able understand much. It would be awesome if you can point me to
> any
> > documentation to understand this. Some api documentation or anything to
> > understand code.
> >
> Is this integration to be done with mailman2 or mailman3?
>
> In mailman3, the archivers are separated from the mailman core.

I was working on mm3. But systers' indexer/searcher was implemented for
mailman2. So it must be easy for to integrate it with mm2.

Looks like archiver for mm3 is still in development stage. As far as I
understand searcher depends on the srchiver, right? Not completely but it
somewhat depends on archiver. I am not sure if searcher can be implemented
without archiver. If possible I can implement for mm3 also.