[Mailman-Developers] RELEASED: GNU Mailman 3.0 beta 1 andPostorius 1.0 alpha 1

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Wed Mar 28 17:59:27 CEST 2012

On Mar 28, 2012, at 01:54 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>Indeed.  I think Barry misspoke here.  But remember, we're barely out
>of alpha test, and we don't actually have a standard archiver, just a
>simple handler to support further development.

I just want to be careful about terminology here.  "Handlers" specifically are
modules that are invoked during pipeline processing.  There's a 'to-archive'
handler but all that does is put a copy of the message and metadata into the
archive queue.

There are also implementations of the IArchiver interface, which is where the
actual work of getting the message injected into the archiver happens.
Implementations are free to do whatever they want here, and in fact you'll see
wide variety in the existing ones (send to an address, call a subproc, drop a
file in a maildir).

The archive queue runner is what loops over the available and enabled
IArchiver implementations.  So it goes something like:

pipeline queue runner --to-archive-> archive queue runner --IArchivers--+

Cheers,