[Mailman-Developers] GSoC Mailman and Systers (was Re: GSoC)

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Thu Mar 29 08:51:45 CEST 2012

On 12-03-28 7:49 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Hey, welcome, Ana! I suspect that the Systers organization has moved
> on, since their specific needs were satisfied AFAIK. But they have
> some really good people (both as engineers and as human beings), so
> please do get in touch with them (especially the people who worked on
> their Mailman projects). I'm sure they'll be glad to talk with you.
*laugh* Stephen, maybe I should have mentioned that I'm *also* a GSoC
mentor (and one of several org admins) for Systers, and we are indeed
doing some Mailman related projects this year.

For the most part, I've kept the suggested projects separate on the
respective GSoC 2012 projects page.  Systers is the obvious candidate
for some Mailman 3 related projects, specifically dynamic sublists
(which was invented for Systers and I hope to have replace topics in
Mailman 3) and some usability work I'd like done on the admin interface
(Systers has an experienced usability expert on our mentoring team who's
agreed to help if we can find the right student).  And of course,
Systers still has wishlists for their current custom install which is
based on Mailman 2.1.10 and other organizational projects.

There's a bit of a grey area where students could put in a submission
under either Systers or Mailman, though.  Archives work, for example,
could probably go with either.  I'm pretty much waiting to see and
hoping we've got enough mentors to go around.

  Terri