[Mailman-Developers] Google Summer of Code: Integration of Search Code

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Mar 29 19:18:02 CEST 2012

> I suspect that there will be plenty of mailing lists that get fed
> messages from programs, e.g. think vcs -commit diff lists.  Those programs can
> also be buggy, but again I'd prefer that Mailman not compromise on this issue
> for their sake.

I predict you will eventually lose on this.  That's not an argument
for changing, of course. :-)

> The point being that messages that flow through Mailman will have that
> hash in the message URLs in the Archived-At header and possibly in the
> decorated footers.  An archiver should certainly provide an interface to look
> up a message by pure Message-ID or the hash.  The hash is just a scheme to
> regularize the message id and is a tiny fraction more user-friendly (because
> of its limited alphabet and manageable, known-in-advance length).

I would say that's actually quite significant, because the trash that
I've observed in message-ids is varied, to be polite.  It will be nice
to be able to avoid URL-escaping, RFC 2047 soft line breaks, and all
the rest.