[Mailman-Developers] subscription notification mail body

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon May 14 01:58:51 CEST 2012

Stanislaw Findeisen wrote:

>Subscription notification mail body is also distorted sometimes: I just
>received one for a new subscriber who used a diacritic in his name.
>There is '?' (ASCII 0x3F) instead of the character with diacritic.

I think this is because your list's preferred language is English and
Mailman's character set for English is us-ascii so the message body is
coerced to ascii and non-ascii characters get replaced by '?'.

If this is a serious issue, you can change Mailman's character set for
English to UTF-8 by putting

add_language('en', 'English (USA)', 'utf-8', 'ltr')

in mm_cfg.py.