[Mailman-Developers] [GSoC 2012] Metrics

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull at sk.tsukuba.ac.jp
Sat May 19 14:12:03 CEST 2012

George Chatzisofroniou writes:
 > Hello Patrick,
 >
 > On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 12:09 AM, Patrick Ben Koetter
 > > Like with most statistical data I mostly see the figures being
 > > used to give statements on quantity - top poster, number of
 > > threads etc. Do you think it would be possible to also make some
 > > statements on quality?

+1

For example, I think this would be really useful for class discussion
lists and the like (on the theory that the best way to learn a subject
is to teach it to others).

 > The metrics will primarily extract the activity of a mailing list
 > and its users.
 >
 > It is possible to emphasize on the quality of the posts but i think
 > this is a different app

I don't see why.  I would think quality metrics would be usefully
presented via the same application as quantity metrics.  It would be
interesting to correlate quality and quantity, for example.

Do you mean to say "this is out of scope of my project?"  As much as
I'd like to see quality metrics provided, I'd have to agree with you
that it's out of scope of your project (maybe you could do one or more
quality metrics on a time-permitting basis at the end of the period).