[Mailman-Developers] HyperKitty MongoDB vs PostgreSQL.

Pierre-Yves Chibon pingou at pingoured.fr
Fri May 25 11:18:57 CEST 2012

Dear all,

It has been some time since the last info regarding HyperKitty, but the
project has made some progress.

I have implemented to database interface that I was presented already a
month ago [1].

So now there is a standalone project/library, KittyStore [2] which
provides an interface to the database. It defines an interface which can
then be implemented for whatever database system you would like. At the
moment it covers MongoDB and PostgreSQL.

Once I implemented this interface I tried to solve the question of which
database system should we primarily focus on.

I wrote a small comparison test of the two systems on an RHEL6 system
[3] (I still have to publish the results for F17).
The difference between the two databases system is not so large (1s for
a query that already takes 6 seconds) and there was not any tuning of
the servers.
So I think the advantage of having only one back-end for mailman and its
archive is worth this time difference in the results (which might anyway
get even better).

Thus we will move forward with PostgreSQL as a back-end for HyperKitty.
The good news is that HyperKitty already works fine with PostgreSQL and
KittyStore (if you use the correct branch [4]).
However, we have to rebuild our test server, so we cannot show you how
the latest version works right now.

So all is nicely getting in place for Aamir to start working on his
project and for HK to get further down the road :)

I think that's about all I wanted to say, fire away if you have
questions!

Best regards,
Pierre

[1]