[Mailman-Developers] Mailman 3: dlist integration

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull at sk.tsukuba.ac.jp
Mon Nov 12 02:31:09 CET 2012

Terri Oda writes:

 > In a dlist-enabled list, every message is part of a thread, as
 > determined by the posting address used
 > (mailinglist+threadname at example.com or +new for a new thread whereupon
 > we create a new name).

How is the new name determined?

Is it possible to split or merge threads?

 > We need to somehow have the thread name passed around with the
 > message, and I'm *guessing* that just putting that metadata in with
 > message is the right choice, but I'm worried that message doesn't
 > seem to have listinf stored so maybe the message is
 > list-independent and could be sent to multiple lists and thus be on
 > multiple threads at once.

What happens occasionally on Python lists is that a discussion that
originates on one list will propagate to another, then disappear from
the first, then come back to the first.  (distutils-sig is especially
famous for this behavior, with the "other list" being python-dev.)

What behavior would you propose for the dlists in this case?