[Mailman-Developers] Logging automatic rejects of incoming posts.

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Oct 20 02:26:06 CEST 2012

When a handler raises Errors.RejectMessage to reject an incoming post,
nothing is logged. I have filed
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/1068837> in preparation for
addressing this.

My question is what to log. Currently, IncomingRunner logs automatic
discards with the message 'Message discarded, msgid: %s'. This is a
bit cryptic. I think it would be good to have the list name in this
message, but I have never changed it as that could be disruptive. It
would also be possible to log which handler raised the exception, but
again, that could be disruptive.

With a new message for rejects, disruption is not much of an issue as
existing log analyzers would presumably not recognize the message and
skip it, which is no different from no message, or report the raw
message.

The question is whether it is a good thing to log the error message
that accompanies the exception. This can be quite verbose as the error
message can be the list's member_moderation_notice or
nonmember_rejection_notice, but if only the handler name is logged, it
doesn't distinguish between a non-member reject and a moderated member
reject.

Does anyone have an opinion on this?