[Mailman-Developers] 3.0.0b1 fails bootstrap.py on Mountain Lion

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Fri Sep 7 04:05:59 CEST 2012

On Sep 06, 2012, at 11:11 AM, G B wrote:

>I initially posted this to mailman-users, but it was suggested that this
>would be a better list.
>
>I'm installing Mailman for the first time, and chose to try the beta.  I'm
>installing on a Mountain Lion Server, that was cleanly installed.  I've since
>updated the OS to 10.8.1
>
>I got as far as 'python bootstrap.py' and it failed immediately with the
>following traceback:

I don't have OS X 10.8 yet, but I tried it on my 10.6.8 machine, using
MacPorts' Python 2.7.

I was able to bootstrap, but bin/buildout failed downloading one of the zc
recipes.  I don't have much in /opt/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages and I
didn't spend much time debugging the problem.

However, I was able to create a virtualenv and do a `python setup.py install`
into that virtualenv just fine.  I tested with `mailman info` but didn't try
to much else.

I'm guessing it's something weird with 10.8's built-in Python 2.7.

Cheers,