[Mailman-Developers] RELEASED: GNU Mailman 3.0 beta 2

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Sun Sep 9 01:28:36 CEST 2012

Hello friends of Mailman!

    Sometimes we freeze until the light comes
    Sometimes we're wrong and sometimes we're right

I'm happy to announce the second beta release of Mailman 3.0, code named
"Freeze".  I expect the code name to appropriately reflect the stability of
the database schema and REST API.  From here on out, there should be no more
major changes or new features, just bug fixes leading to the 3.0 final
release.

You can download GNU Mailman 3.0b2 from Launchpad or the Python Cheeseshop:

    https://launchpad.net/mailman
    http://pypi.python.org/pypi/mailman

The GNU Mailman documentation is available online at:

    http://packages.python.org/mailman/

Don't forget that alpha releases of Postorious, our new web ui are also
available:

    https://launchpad.net/postorius
    http://pypi.python.org/pypi/postorius

You can submit bug reports to GNU Mailman and Postorius at:

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/postorius

GNU Mailman and Postorius are released under the GNU General Public License
version 3 or later.

Detailed changes in Mailman 3.0b2 are available here:

    http://tinyurl.com/93xlt5m

Here's a summary of the most user and developer visible change:

 * The link between members and mailing lists is now the list-id, not the
   mailing list's posting address.  This is reflected in changes to the REST
   API for members, and other internal APIs.

 * Many other database schema changes have been made, compatible with both the
   SQLite3 and PostgreSQL backends, and with fully tested automatic migration.

 * passlib is now used for password hashing instead of flufl.password.  There
   is a separate configuration file for controlling the hash used, with the
   default being sha512_crypt.

 * Internally, all datetimes are interpreted in UTC, but stored in naive
   format.

 * The `news` runner is now called the `nntp` runner.  Beta testers can safely
   remove $var_dir/queue/news.

 * Many internal events have been added and renamed.

 * Archiving policies are now controlled by a single enumeration.  This change
   is also reflected in the REST API.

 * Many configuration file changes have been made, including the addition of
   the new [antispam] section.

 * The usual slew of bug fixes have been applied.

Enjoy,