[Mailman-Developers] Getting to Mailman 3.0 final

Patrick Ben Koetter p at state-of-mind.de
Mon Sep 17 21:12:34 CEST 2012

* Barry Warsaw <barry at list.org>:
> On Sep 16, 2012, at 01:41 PM, Adam McGreggor wrote:
>
> >Part of the attraction in using Mailman 2, was that, for the majority
> >of tasks end-users want to do, they can do it via the web interface;
> >certainly an advantage over those "you have to do everything by email,
> >in the proscribed manner, to the right address" 'alternatives' (I say
> >'alternatives' as I don't think they're fit for non-geeks (and even
> >some struggle with those).
> >
> >I would not roll-out Mailman 3 if there were not an end-users' web
> >interface, at the very least for subscription management/alterations.
>
> Maybe now that the core is pretty close to what it will be like when released,
> we can get more volunteers to help test Postorius, and perhaps contribute to
> it?  It would be cool if we could do a simultaneous release, but OTOH, the
> architecture of MM3 expressly encourages separation of the web ui from the
> engine.

I think if we release MM3 without 'a frontend' we will miss people's
expectation to get a feature complete MLM - which includes a frontend in most
peoples opinion I guess.

> I do think that if we release them separately, we'll have to be very clear
> about setting expectations.

I wouldn't do it.

p at rick

--
state of mind ()

http://www.state-of-mind.de

Franziskanerstraße 15      Telefon +49 89 3090 4664
81669 München              Telefax +49 89 3090 4666