[Mailman-Developers] Mailman Vs Sharepoint

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Tue Sep 18 17:22:56 CEST 2012

On Sep 18, 2012, at 10:28 AM, Murls wrote:

>Need help on justifying Mailman is not outdated technology and how its
>better than Microsoft Sharepoint.

First, GNU Mailman is free software, so you have the freedom to use it for any
purpose, to make whatever changes you want to suite your specific needs, and
to redistribute those changes to others, as long as you confer the same rights
along with your changes.

Second, these are two different tools with very different goals.  Wikipedia
tells me that SharePoint is a large web application suite of tools, perhaps
one of those tools is a mailing list manager (I don't know).

GNU Mailman is solely focused on the task of managing mailing lists.
Especially with Mailman 3, it is designed to be easily integrated with other
tools, but in the best Unix tradition, it doesn't try to take over those
tasks.

Cheers,