[Mailman-Developers] gsoc 2013 introduction and postorius merge request

varun sharma varunsharmalive at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 18:18:00 CEST 2013

Hi,
I am an undergrad computer science student at manipal institute of
technology, india and a prospective gsoc 2013 participant. I have a nice
experience in django,bootstrap, jquery and json which i got during my

I really liked most of the mailman project ideas and started working on one
of them today. As i know, there is a tradition of fixing a bug to get into
any open source organization. So i worked for few hours on
https://bugs.launchpad.net/postorius/+bug/1066184 today. Now user can edit
his first_name and last_name. There are few problems that i faced and want
to discuss with core developers:
1. There is no model class which derives the base User class, to store
values like twitter_id, irc_nick  etc. (Should i create one ?)
2. Can username be changed ?

The changes i have done today:
1. first_name and last_name can be edited and saved using jquery

Changes that i am planning to do tomorrow:
1. Add bootstrap timeout alert on change() and save
2. add model entry for irc_nick,website and twitter_id

I have already submitted the merge request.

Hope you guys will look into my code and correct my mistakes.

Thanks
Varun Sharma