[Mailman-Developers] anti-spam filter

Patrick Ben Koetter p at sys4.de
Mon Apr 15 11:28:26 CEST 2013

* Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org>:
> Pratik Sarkar writes:
>
>  > Is the anti-spam/abuse filter still being seriously considered as a
>  > gsoc project this year?
>
> I would say so, yes.  Personally, I am fundamentally opposed to it; I
> think it's wrong in principle (filtering of this kind should be done
> by the incoming MTA) and inappropriate for the 3.0 release.  *But*
> there is clearly user demand for it, and among the actually signed-up
> mentors[1] there are at least two who have shown some support for it.
>
> OTOH, you should be aware that while nobody has a veto except Barry
> (Terri has one ex oficio but I doubt she'd exercise it if Barry was in
> favor), it's likely that projects that all the mentors favor will be
> ranked higher, and looking at the quality of posts from students so
> far there is going to be competition for Mailman slots.
>
> If you have a solid proposal for anti-spam already worked out (the
> idea the guy proposed with a Bayesian filter based on word triads
> comes close to what I'd call solid, see also Terri's post where she
> proposed a schedule for the kind of additional detail needed), then
> that's probably your best bet.
>
> But if you're looking for a project and you think that anti-spam is
> cool but that's all the thinking you've done so far, I'd say it's very
> risky proposal.  There are a lot of things we need in UI (both
> subscriber-oriented and admin-oriented) that are interesting and
> higher-priority.

Perhaps the integration could create an interface itself that makes it easy to
add other filters in the future. I am thinking Postfix 'content filter', which
uses SMTP/LMTP to send messages to an external filter and they send it back
then using SMTP.

The first Mailman content filter could be the one you proposed. Others could
add their filter later.

p at rick

--
[*] sys4 AG