[Mailman-Developers] anti-spam filter

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Apr 15 12:29:18 CEST 2013

Paul Wise writes:

 > A generic mailing-list-hoster hosting all 3 of those will want to
 > allow most mail and add per-list filters.

Of course.  SpamAssassin at least can already do that (it allows
mailbox-specific rules).

A properly set up Bayesian filter will notice that certain criteria
are associated with list addressees.  (Not as effective as explicit
training on each individual corpus, but I was never very good about
that, and I doubt few list admins will bother.)

Can we really do better than those?  If not, we should concentrate on
(1) exporting policy based on Mailman databases to MTAs via milters,
and/or (2) importing existing functionality from existing spam filters
such as SpamAssassin to Mailman.  The big problem with (2) is that it
has already been done; it's only a few lines in a Handler.

Steve