[Mailman-Developers] Boilerplate and content filtering [was: Introduction and Project Discussion]

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Apr 15 12:43:45 CEST 2013

Sreyanth writes:

 > I I understood it before too. I proposed this JS approach, as I wondered
 > why people would anyhow look at the boilerplate! (That's the main point of
 > the project right!)​

Depends on your definition of "boilerplate".  I consider quoted
mailing lists' footers and those stupid corporate legal notices to be
boilerplate, and they're generally far more annoying than "sent from
my iPhone" because they often separate the text from attachments and
the like by more than a few lines.

Worse, quoted footers are often actively harmful, because they contain
"unsubscribe" links for somebody else (but all the user can see is
"click here to unsubscribe").