[Mailman-Developers] Setting up a VM.

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Fri Apr 19 02:10:05 CEST 2013

On Apr 18, 2013, at 01:10 PM, Chris Cargile wrote:

>The cause in both cases seems to stem from failing at the SMTPLayer, where
>it shows: [Error98] Address already in use.

This almost always means that some runner process from a previous test didn't
exit.  I've tried to bulletproof the process management in MM3, but sometimes
the processes can hang around, keeping ports in use.

>"mailman conf" shows that smtp port setting is:25.

Remember though that the test infrastructure pushes a small configuration on
top of that, which `mailman conf` wouldn't show (that would be an interesting
enhancement :).  Look at src/mailman/testing/testing.cfg for details.  In
particular, it uses unprivileged ports for the testing SMTP and LMTP servers
(9025 and 9024 respectively).

Use ps to find and kill the processes and the ports will free up.

Cheers,