[Mailman-Developers] About authentication (was Re: Architecture for extra profile info)

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Mon Apr 29 22:06:37 CEST 2013

1. I would like to remind/tell you all that FOR THIS RELEASE, we will
ONLY be supporting Mozilla Persona and passwords as authentication
methods.  This is not up for discussion at this time; it's a choice
we've made to in order to help move the release forwards.

2. As such, any discussion of enterprise use of google or twitter or
what have you is pretty much academic.   I am satisfied if our
authentication plan for methods other than Persona and passwords is "And
then the magical python gnomes associate an external account with an
internal mailman account!"  (I'm not being entirely facetious here;
libraries such as django-social-auth are likely to make this
sufficiently trivial that it might as well be gnomes.)

3.  While I agree that thinking about these things in advance is useful,
I think this discussion is starting to crowd out discussions of
time-sensitive things like students' GSoC applications and architectural
choices that directly impact how they write said applications.

4. Let's be realistic: No one is going to plumb everything carefully
through with good architectural work in time for it to be useful to GSoC
students starting in a few weeks.

So... can we please backburner parts of this discussion until after GSoC
so that we don't make it impossible for anyone to start on any project
involving extra profile info? I don't want to bog down a student with
the need to make this choice and work with these decisions at this stage.

For the purposes of GSoC this summer:

Authentication for the purposes of the extra profile info data store
will be provided by either Persona through the web interface or
passwords.  Yes, even internally for the REST interface:
passwords+localhost are good enough for Mailman Core right now, so it's
good enough for anything else we do short-term.

We can re-open the floor to better ideas either after GSoC, after the
Mailman suite releases, or if Barry vetoes my decision.  ;)

  Terri