[Mailman-Developers] background on maintaining the documentation (was RE: Mailman-Developers Digest, Vol 286, Issue 9)

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Thu Feb 28 01:18:49 CET 2013

On 13-02-27 12:33 PM, Chris Cargile wrote:
> the Moin system will get us away from the Atlassian licensing hassle
> AND would tie in great for enabling a new website for the MM3 release,
Um... Chris, you do realize that we're experience software developers
working on a project under the banner of the free software foundation?
We're reasonably familiar with licensing issues and how they relate to
mailman!  The message you sent (which I've mostly snipped) is not only
un-timely at this point so long after the decision about switching was
made but also seems a little patronizing in context.

> Would the merges accepted propogate document changes to the package
> repos or are we referring to a merge against a documents-repo that is
> somewhere I don't know of. I'm still confused on where the sphinx
> documentation plays into it (is that maybe like building javadocs
> only, instead it does so for python, maybe)

There is a docs directory in each project.  There is no separate docs repo.

Mailman's is here:
https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/mailman/3.0/files/head:/src/mailman/docs/

Postorius' is here:
https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/postorius/trunk/files/head:/src/postorius/doc/

and I don't have a link for Hyperkitty's handy but I'm sure you can find
it yourself.

And now my turn to border on patronizing:  My recommendation is that as
a new contributor, you should really stick to editing the wiki until you
have a sense of what you're doing and let the devs maintain the
documentation for their own packages.

  Terri