[Mailman-Developers] Mailman search function (was?? Re: Like to participate in GSOC 2013 (GNU Mailman) - Like some ideas proposed in the list (Django, Python))

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Mon Jul 1 23:44:36 CEST 2013

On Jun 29, 2013, at 10:33 PM, Chris Cargile wrote:

>FWIW, I'd also like very much if anyone could provide a few lines recap of
>the activity on the ModernArchiving topic under "initiatives and proposals"
>as I feel my thoughts on searching/archiving tie into the
>objectives/requirements listed there:
>http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/ModernArchiving
>
>More concisely, where I have search capability, my goal of integrating more
>'robustly' is I think one that will rely upon a channel of communication
>being established with the archiving mechanisms, if I understand the mm 2.0
>codebase well enough.

Hi Chris,

I really think searching is pretty closely tied to the archiver.  While the
Mailman core may keep a central message store, it won't be directly tied to
archiving or searching.

We've tried to keep the connection between Mailman and the archivers loose,
certainly much looser than between MM2.1 and Pipermail.  There are lots of
reasons for that, including the ability to define multiple archivers for a
single Mailman instance, and the ability to define remote archivers
(e.g. mail-archive.com).  This is the primary motivation for the stable URL
proposal <http://wiki.list.org/x/yQAM>.

As for our eventually hoped-for replacement to Pipermail, Hyperkitty, I think
it would be wonderful for it to have a built-in search.