[Mailman-Developers] Adding DMARC support for Mailman 3

Franck Martin franck at peachymango.org
Sun Jul 7 04:00:15 CEST 2013

Greetings,

Patrick asked me to introduce a bit why DMARC and mailman.

In one year DMARC has gained good support (60% of worldwide mailboxes are protected with DMARC http://www.dmarc.org/news/press_release_20130206.html), but like others I'm worried about the long tail. This is the reason some of the people working with DMARC.org have been sponsoring the openDMARC implementation to make it available on a large set of mail servers (cf http://www.trusteddomain.org/opendmarc/ for a list of sponsors). Some openDMARC packages are now available and I expect to see them as part of GNU/Linux distros anytime soon.

Similarly, I'm interested to offer the option to list administrators to transition to a behavior that makes the lists safe/working/compatible with DMARC. As Patrick explained, there are about 3 possibilities, while I'm interested more in some than others (I personally experimented with the patch to mailman 2.1), it is only fair to offer the 3 options and let the list administrator choose the one more suitable for his/her needs. Once Patrick has a better understanding on how to best implement these 3 options, it will be easy, like for openDMARC, to sponsor the work to make it as part of mailman3. I know that several DMARC.org members have shown interest to do so.

In an other year, with the help of the mailman community, we can progress more in the fight against fake emails. While this may sound like a sales pitch, there has not been so much excitement in email for a long time.

Franck Martin
https://www.linkedin.com/in/franckmartin